Wednesday, November 28, 2007

A Day to Be Thankful for Technology

When I woke up this morning and opened the refrigerator the remnants of the Thanksgiving meal were still in sight. I started to reflect on that day and everything that I was thankful for that has occurred this in my life this year. I was thankful to be able to touch people's lives as I traveled throughout the United States, giving seminars on Teambuilding and Success. It was then I started to think about what else I was grateful for.

The one thing that kept popping up in my mind was the fact that I had learned to master some simple technologies that previously I would have never explored because I thought they were just for people that were technologically oriented. And that was not me!

It has been my experience that there are many people that are fearful of new technology and the application of it just like me. What I found out is if we embrace this technology it could finally give us an opportunity to add balance and abundance to our lives.

Right now, one of the technologies that I'm utilizing is a product called Dragon Naturally Speaking 9.0 preferred http://www.nuance.com/ it is a voice recognition software program that I'm currently using to write this blog. All it takes is the program and a headset with a microphone as I'm speaking the words are being typed right in front of my eyes. You see one of my weaknesses, was that I had never taken a typing class in high school or college. So my speed was probably 15 to 20 words per minute and that was fast for me. You can just imagine how one would take me to write it to a three-page essay or article. Now with this technology I am able to type as fast as 160 words per minute, which saves me massive amounts of time to do some of the other things that I love to do.

Another new technology I learned about was to utilize a digital voice recorder in order to produce products. In just the last year we have created six volumes of continuing legal education for our company Advantage Legal Seminars http://www.advantagelegalseminars.com/ , which is now approved in 19 states and growing by the day.

I learned about another technology called Skype http://www.skype.com/, which is a voice operated Internet provider service, and it's free. This service enables me to speak with people anywhere in the world at no charge as long as they sign up for Skype also, which is at no charge.

To take things one step further. I purchased a web cam called the Logitech fusion web cam http://www.logitech.com/ and when I pare it with my Skype phone I'm able to conduct conference calls with people around the world. This truly brings our universe closer together!

This brings me to one of my new best friends. Mr. Julious Joy who works for company called Flat World Solutions http://www.outsource2india.com/ his company provides a whole menu of services that can take the load off of small businesses. In my case, they do a great job of data entry, keeping up my e-mail, database and freeing up my time so I can work on projects that need my immediate attention. I guess what I'm saying is that I'm so thankful that I decided to embrace technology and I think you will be too.

Dr. Rick Goodman is a professional speaker who works with organizations that want to develop great leaders. For more information on Ricks speaking programs, Audio Programs and learning programs contact (888) 267-6098 or rick@drrickgoodman.com http://www.drrickgoodman.com/

1 comment:

Navya said...

Nice post. thanks for sharing..
regards
CAD digitization